There is much buzz about milk – from commercials to the rows of options in the grocery store, but what milk should make it into your cart?
Milk has been an important American staple for decades, according to www.healthyeating.org, and with all the milk alternatives available, many wonder -what is the best option?
Why Choose Milk?
According to the Dairy Council, shoppers should consider milk as a smart shopping buy because it is:
- Affordable: Milk is about 21 cents per cup making it easy to fit healthy eating into any budget.
- Natural: Milk naturally contains significant amounts of essential nutrients such as calcium, protein, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin A.
- Nourishing: Milk is a great source for three of the four nutrients that most Americans are lacking as it is packed with calcium, potassium and vitamin D.
- Versatile: Milk can be used after a workout to help with muscle recover or in oatmeal for an extra nutritional boost.
- Wholesome: Dairy families and milk processors take pride in their products.
Why Opt for an Alternative?
Some people may have dietary restrictions that make alternative milks, which are often more expensive, a necessity, while others may be looking for options with fewer calories or prefer the taste.
Whatever your reason, make sure to compare label so you know what you are getting as not all milk has the shape nutritional offering. For example, one cup of milk has protein equal to 10 cups of almond milk or 2 cups of low-fat soy milk.