About the Program
SLMA employs all residents in the ACGME accredited Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center Internal Medicine Residency Program (ACGME # 1402121537). We currently have 24 categorical positions (8 per PGY level) in our three year program.
The program stresses academic excellence throughout the training experience, offering a learning environment that balances the personal and professional needs of our residents. Residents divide their time among general medicine and subspecialty services, intensive care units, ambulatory care experiences, consultation rotations, emergency rooms and long-term care settings.
Dayton Daberkow, MD – Program Director and DIO
Mona Chadha, MD – Associate Program Director
Beth Drury, C-TAGME – IM Program/GME Coordinator
Criteria for Application
- Applications accepted through ERAS only.
- Applications must be submitted within 2 years of medical school graduation.
- Passing score on USMLE Step 1.
- Passing score on USMLE Step 2.
- Eligible to enroll into an ACGME-accredited program outside of the National Residency Match Program.
- Applicants must be eligible for employment in the United States.
- Applicants must be ECFMG certified.
- Applicants that have completed clinical clerkship rotations at Chabert facility and all other qualified U.S. and International Medical School Graduates.
The Leonard J. Chabert Internal Medicine Program and its Health and its managed entities do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or any other protected characteristic protected by applicable law.
- PGY 1 – 6 wards, Nephrology, ER, ICU , Rheumatology, Elective Subspecialty, Cardiology 1
- PGY 2 – Endocrine, GI 1, DAR*, Pulmonary, ICU (2), Ochsner elective, 3 wards, Cardiology 2, Abmulatory
- PGY 3 – ICU (3), Hematology/Oncology, 3 wards, GI2, Geriatrics, Neuro (Ochsner), Ambulatory, Elective
*DAR = Day Admit Resident
Chabert Medical Center residents are employed by South Louisiana Medical Associates
Resident Stipends ('22-'23)
- PGY 1 – $53,322.00
- PGY 2 – $55,109.00
- PGY 3 – $56,995.00
- Health Insurance – Provided by employer
- Long Term Disability – provided by employer
- Health Savings Account – available (pre tax dollars)
- Dental Insurance – available at employee’s expense
- Malpractice insurance provided
- PGY 1 residents – three weeks
- PGY 2 residents – four weeks
- PGY 3 residents – four weeks
(ALL CMC GME/IM Policy and Procedure rules apply)
- Meals on call
- 1 lab coat
Our program is located in South Louisiana – which is considered the Sportsman’s Paradise. The culture in South Louisiana is unlike any other – which an emphasis on food and fun. Not only are there many activities in Houma itself, but the program is located approximately an hour outside of New Orleans. Dubbed “The Big Easy,” New Orleans is known for its jazz, rich history, food and major events. Home to ten Super Bowls, major sporting events and concerts often make their way through the Mercedes-Benz Superdome and Smoothie King Arena.
- Ochsner Medical Center – New Orleans, LA – Infectious Disease
- University of Mississippi SOM – Jackson, MS – Endocrinology
- University of Mississippi SOM – Jackson, MS – Infectious Disease
- LSUHSC – New Orleans, LA – Cardiology
- University of Mississippi SOM – Jackson, MS – Nephrology
- Virginia Commonwealth University – Richmond, VA – Nephrology
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln, Nebraska – Nephrology
- University of South Carolina SOM – Columbia, SC – Geriatrics
- Ochsner Medical Center – New Orleans, LA – Endocrinology
- University of S. Florida Medical – Tampa, FLA – Rheumatology
- LSUHSC – New Orleans, LA – Rheumatology
- Tulane University Medical Center – Endocrinology
- University of Illinois – Peoria – Cardiology
- LSU New Orleans – Heme/Onc
- University of Illinois – Springfield, IL – Pulmonary/Critical Care
- n University Hospital – Lafayette – Geriatrics
- Ochsner Medical Center – New Orleans – Endocrinology
- University of Texas – Houston – Nephrology
- LSU – Shreveport – Nephrology
- Medical College of Georgia – Infectious Disease
- University of South Carolina – Nephrology
- University of Arizona Medical Center – Endocrinology
- Allegheny Health Network – Allegheny, PA – Nephrology/Critical Care
- Case Western Reserve University – Geriatrics
- Ochsner Medical Center – New Orleans – Rheumatology
- Tulane – Pulmonary Critical Care
- Tulane – Nephrology
- Medical College of Georgia – Endocrinology
- LSU Shreveport – Rheumatology
- University of Texas – Galveston – Endocrinology
- Ochsner – New Orleans – Cardiology